Residence Permit When Establishing a Company

Foreigners who move to the canton of Glarus and wish to pursue self-employment (establishment of a company) must submit an application for an Ausländerbewilligung (foreigner's permit) to the Immigration Department of the canton of Glarus. The Immigration Department can grant a residence permit to foreigners who wish to pursue self-employment (establishment of a company) in the canton of Glarus if the following conditions are met.

The requirements are different for EU/EFTA nationals and non-EU/EFTA nationals:

EU/EFTA nationals

(Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, United Kingdom, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Principality of Liechtenstein, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Spain, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Czech Republic, Hungary and Cyprus)

Non-EU/EFTA nationals

For non-EU/EFTA nationals, Article 19 of the Federal Act on Foreign Nationals (FNA) sets forth the requirements:

Foreigners may be permitted to pursue self-employment if

  1. it is in accordance with the general economic interest;
  2. the necessary financial and operational requirements have been met; and
  3. the requirements of Articles 20 and 23-25 have been met.

Required documents:

  • Passport photo
  • Copy of a valid passport
  • Reason for application (with information on business operation and foreign persons)
  • Curriculum vitae (education and prior professional experience, including proof of qualifications such as diplomas and job references)
  • Business plan with information about planned business organisation, planned activities, human resources development (quantitative and qualitative) and recruiting options, finances (budget/expenses/earnings) and information about the industry-specific market and market opportunities
  • Excerpt from Commercial Register
  • Proof of insurance (illness and accident)

Existing organisational links to other companies should also be disclosed.